Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Grandson of Former Residents Honored as Hero in New Orleans

On May 12, 2013, approximately 400 people were participating in the Mother's Day Second Line Brass Band Parade when gunmen opened fire and wounded 19 people which included two 10 year olds. Immediately on hand were firemen who helped to save the lives of some of those that were wounded. Terrence Pichon, Jr. was one of the first respondents from Unit Engine 27 to arrive on the scene of the shooting in the 7th Ward neighborhood near the French Quarter. Several victims were seriously wounded but most were grazed and in good condition. The firemen provided first aide to the wounded and calmed the neighborhood during this tragic time. 
L to R: New Orleans Fire Department Superintendent Tim McConnell, Fireman
Terrence Anthony Pichon, Jr., Louisiana State Fire Marshal,Chief H. “Butch” Browning,
(Photo courtesy of C. Hilliard)

Second-line parades are loose processions in which people dance down the street. A Brass Band usually leads the parade. They are sometimes planned events or impromptu offshoots of some other celebration. Their origins are traced to the city’s famous jazz funerals.

Pichon was one of the firemen honored at the 18th Annual New Orleans Fire Department Awards Program on October 19, 2013 which was sponsored by the New Orleans Association of Fire Chiefs. Retired District Fire Chief Richard Hampton stated, “The New Orleans Fire Department Awards Program is a great program and I am very proud of our members.” Chief Hampton is the president of the awards program.

Pichon is 27 year old and has served 4 years in the US Air Force as a fireman. He graduated from the University of New Orleans with a degree in Business Management and is married to the former Krystal Arceneaux. They make their home in Slidell, LA.

Pichon is the son of Terrence Pichon, Sr. and Shuntel Hilliard-Pichon. He is the grandson of former Louisville, MS residents, Charles (deceased) and Sylvia Christine Dismuke-Hilliard. The Hilliard family moved to Louisville after their home was destroyed during the Katrina Hurricane. Charles passed from heart disease about 3 years later in Louisville. Sylvia Christine later moved back to New Orleans to retire several years later as a teacher in the New Orleans School District. Sylvia Christine is a 1964 graduate of the former Louisville Colored High School and Mississippi Valley State University, Itta Bena, MS.

By Elmetra Patterson