Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Special Session of Legislature Called to Address Tornado Costs

Governor Phil Bryant's Office announced his plans to call  a Special Legislative Session at 1 p.m. on Thursday, May 8, 2014, to provide the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency with access to up to $20 million for disaster response and recovery costs. The Governor made the announcement on Tuesday.

Preliminary estimates indicate that the state's share of cost could easily exceed $13.5 million. Once an area is declared a Federal Disaster, the federal government can cover up to 75% of the cost with state and local governments splitting the cost of the remaining 25%. There is support by some in the legislature to assist local jurisdictions with their share (12.5%).

Aid provided to individual residents and households is provided in full by federal funds once a federal disaster is declared.